Options

Virus

Comments

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Well, no one seems to be taking this seriously in the US.

100's of pictures of people out on the town last night have been posted. 1000's of people stuck in airport lines coming back from Europe for 5+hours before being let back in.... talk about nuts!!

https://twitter.com/brookegmcdonald/status/1238986272137502720?s=21
    https://twitter.com/winniedynasty/status/1239004133262311424?s=21
    https://twitter.com/scalzi/status/1238842194166939648?s=21

Bars are packed. Down here I see tons of people gathering...  going to be interesting to see where we are one week from today! 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why should peoele take this seriously?  This is 100% media overblown.  I'm looking at investing in a second rental property as we speak so I'm not complaining, i want a good deal.

Unless you are elderly or have a compromised immune system.  

My kid and I went out for sushi last night.  

The admiral and I are attending a wedding next weekend.  

We are washing our hands before eating/touching our face as usual.  

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was out on Broadway in Nashville last night. Every single place was packed. Pics are from Kid Rock's Honkytonk. I estimate over 2 thousand in this room alone. Kick a$$ band by the way. If its the end of the world you'd never know it.

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question still remains? does anyone know anyone, that even knows someone who has it?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Many healthy peoele who have it will think its just a cold or allergies.  Trees and flowers are already blooming in my area.  
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you see that Seinfeld actually predicted this epidemic many years ago. Total mind blower 😁

https://youtu.be/Gysu0kgFwT0
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    The CDC needs to focus on real issues like the dangers of marital sex.  

I'm going to write a book about it to raise awareness

"She got you to say I do so she could say not tonight"  

• Options
    Back on Broadway. Sunday morning coming down. Had to stop here. Would be too dangerous to carry on. 🤣

• Options
    Cocktails and fresh Cajun seafood sounds really great right now
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crazy is as crazy does. People where I live are like friggin' lemmings following each other to Walmart to fight over to toilet paper. Crazies motivating more crazies. 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Willhound. Notice any tornado damages??
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In case you have a sore throat! 

Boat Name : 

• Options
    Per the news report:

For most people, the new coronavirus causes only mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough. For some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia

All schools in my state closed until at least the 31st

Keep in mind the stomach flu is more deadly and will ground even the healthiest individual, spreads like wild fire....yet this is a pandemic.

• Options
    Just wait till we're like Italy... We are still friends here, but I'm on the other side of the argument! 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty funny situation this guy got himself into.

https://youtu.be/18wybjhCqg8

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Just drove home from Miami. No virus there or any economic slowdown either!!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Just saw a news conference from our governor here in FL...really impressed by this gutyy. A lot of the spring events are being cancelled..beaches will be closed down at night to prevent large gatherings....bike week permits for vendors in Daytona Beach were termed...big hardship on those vendors to lose that last day..but you have 200 m plus people from all over the country which sure sounds like a recipe for spreading it quicker...coming sense will prevail I hope...I did my part today, went down the river...friggin hot though...had to run the air for the kids to shut their yappers....lots of boats on the water which is typical for the start of the season...them it thins back out...motor has 370 hours on it now...
  • Options
    @Willhound. Notice any tornado damages??
    Yes. Some about a quarter of a mile from where we are. People are just getting over that. Sorry for the blurry pics. From the shuttle downtown.  And the "panicdemic" is starting to hiy here.  These pics are a normally bustling hotel bar, restaurant and lobby . I'm starting to feel like that show where the guy is the last in the world. Everyone is so thankful we came because a lot stayed away because of the tornado and then this. F$*£ It. I'll die standing on my legs rather than on my knees as Emilio Zapata said!

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    Pretty funny situation this guy got himself into.

https://youtu.be/18wybjhCqg8

That guy is an idiot and should know better about selling on Amazon or just price gouging in general. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭
    For those saying it's not much to worry about:

"So what are the differences between coronavirus and the flu? For starters, there is no vaccine for COVID-19 and it could take many months or years to get one to market, and, unlike the influenza viruses for which there are several vaccines, humans have not built up an immunity over multiple generations. What’s worse, doctors fear the virus will mutate."

“It’s a little simple to think the novel coronavirus is just like flu,” Amesh Adalja, a senior scholar at the John Hopkins Center for Health Security and a spokesman for the Infectious Diseases Society of America."

“We don’t want another flu,” he said. “This is additive, not in place of. Yes, the flu kills thousands of people every year, but we’re going to have more deaths.”

"Seasonal flu has a fatality rate of less than 1%. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases on Capitol Hill, estimates that the fatality rate of flu is closer to 0.1%. But even accounting for the mild, yet undiagnosed cases of COVID-19...would still make it “roughly 10 times more lethal than the seasonal flu.”

I'd urge everyone to read the whole article...

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/coronavirus-vs-the-flu-its-just-like-other-viruses-and-we-should-go-about-our-normal-business-right-wrong-heres-why-2020-03-09
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    No one under the age of 9 has died from this virus....the rotavirus(stomach flu) hits hard, it's fast and spreads like wild fire.  There are vaccines given to small infants but it only lowers the %chance you will get it and/or a % it might possibly lower the duration/severity of the rotavirus if you do get it.  In undeveloped countries the loss of this is due to the inability to hospitalize the young or elderly to hydrate them.

Same with the flu vaccination, theres only a 50/50 chance you'll get a vacation for the strain that goes around, so if you get exposed to the flu you're probably still getting it.

There will be more deaths from hippos in Africa this year than conorina virus deaths in the USA.  

The little lady brought home 2 packs of tp from work tonight.  A glitch in the system sold them at 75%off.

Then a lady  tired to steal them saying she paid for it.

The lady didn't relazie the shopping cart of goods she was trying to push out belonged to the front end manager who was helping out before heading home.  My admiral asked "excuse me mam but can i see your receipt?"

The lady said "yes it's in here" and found a receipt in the one of the top bags.

My admiral then said "let me see it" knowing the last 4 digits of her card number were on the receipt as well as her employee discount card number.  When she handed the receipt to my little lady she said "these belong to someoene else, someone else bought them"

After some arguing the admiral said "mam i bought these, these are mine"

The lady put down the receipt and walked away quickly.  

We didn't need tp but at a 75%discount why not buy a case or two???

• Options
    If you like being on lockdown like Italy.. keep going out and spreading it! All good

• Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    My buddy who works for a ticket broker, along with 40 of his co-workers just got laid off. Shutting down sports has consequences. This crap is real.
    Andy
  • Options
    Im not saying people wont get sick.  The elderly and those at risk should take precautions.

The healthy people shouldn't freak out over mild/moderate cold/flu symptoms.  

Id rather have that than the stomach flu where it's coming out both ends for 24 to 48 hrs
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    Well, I kind of agree with all of you.  Yes, we shouldn't freak out about it.  But, I agree with Jeff too.  We should take precautions and do our part not to spread it.  I am not concerned about dying from it or even getting it.  But, I should not be out there spreading it either for those that may have further complications if they do get it.  I'll be doing my part each weekend now and just going to the boat and enjoying our time there! :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    Well, I kind of agree with all of you.  Yes, we shouldn't freak out about it.  But, I agree with Jeff too.  We should take precautions and do our part not to spread it.  I am not concerned about dying from it or even getting it.  But, I should not be out there spreading it either for those that may have further complications if they do get it.  I'll be doing my part each weekend now and just going to the boat and enjoying our time there! :)
    Stay 14 days on boat! 
  • Options
    Im hoping the wedding this weekend is cancelled. The admiral and i both have a 3 day weekend, would be nice to spent it on the boat.  Temps will be between about 60 to 75 all week with over nights not falling below about 45.  

• Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭

Im hoping the wedding this weekend is cancelled. The admiral and i both have a 3 day weekend, would be nice to spent it on the boat.  Temps will be between about 60 to 75 all week with over nights not falling below about 45.  

You could just back out siting concerns over the virus!
  • Options
    The admiral is looking forward to an open bar reception with her cousins.  We have qll day Friday for a charter fishing trip(weather pending)  im not going to get her to willingly cancel.

Our hotel is a marina.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Well this has gotten more interesting. As some may know we've been on a 21 day trip to Florida then New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville and now heading home. Canadian government is advising all residents returning from any outside location to self isolate for 14 days and I was wondering how to handle that situation. But the decision was made for me when work emailed me this morning to advise they want me to stay away for two weeks but they are going to pay me which is very kind and generous and makes me feel very valued as an employee. So I guess we'll just stay at home. I'll end up being off for 5 weeks total which is the longest I've ever been off work in my life. Maybe I'll get a chance to do some work on the boat depending on weather. Not sure yet how this is going to affect my daughter who lives with us and works at an old age home. She may end up getting laid off over it unless we can figure out some way of having her stay out of the house for two weeks.
    On a positive note my broker called this morning to let me know that despite the market slide we are still up about 5% and are going into buy mode as there are some excellent deals to be had. He's predicting that when things bounce back (and they will) we should be up to 30% to the better in the bounce. Maybe I'll get to retire after all!