Options

Virus

Comments

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say we open things back up once we have adequate masks, Lysol, gloves and hand sanitizer for all in person business and resurants sit tables 10 ft apart.   
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    A lot of the problem for companies, is nobody knows where the bottom is. I’ve been to all these cities that are “shut down” and it’s a joke. There are people and traffic everywhere. I’m staying in hotels where other people are staying, getting food delivered, and in airplanes with other people.  I’m in contact with a lot of people almost daily. 

If we are going to do a shut down, let’s do it. Everyone go get their food, and let’s turn it off for 2 weeks. no air travel, no uber, not a single business open. Let’s just turn it off, that way, businesses have a better idea of when we open again. Right now, we are just dragging the misery out. 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @69fastback I agree but this should’ve been done 3 weeks ago.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or earlier...we had Italy as a model... 
  • Options
    Yea, doesn’t make sense to me.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Unless we all become skilled tradesmen, farmers, seamstresses and horse traders over night we cannot just close it down.

Our economy, our infrastructure, our overall populations ability to adult isn't built to withstand total shutdown for even a week.

Do you have any idea of how many families are out there that cannot cook a grilled cheese?  How many families that cannnot stock up and plan 3 days of meals much less 2 weeks.  We are a society that needs HOT warning labels on our coffee cups.

A total shut down will lead to panic and nothing is more dangerous than a mob of scared hungry people. 

We are a nation with a large percentage of population who cannot fend for themselves.  Basic things like plumbing repair,  unclogging a sink, resetting a tripped breaker are well beyond the capacity of
    many.    We are a nation that depends on others for a huge percentage of our daily life.

• Options
    Agreed but how are we going to slow/STOP the spread?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    All we can do is slow it.  Man is not anywhere near the top of the food chain.  It's our ability to build and adapt that allows us to overcome.  This is not the biggest hurdle man has seen, will not be the last.

Keep in mind this isn't nearly as bad as tuberculosis or malaria.  Diseases that have claimed millions and will continue to claim millions more.  This is bad, but it could be so much worse.

Tb has a treatment but still in 2018 it killed over 4 million world wide

Malaria deaths, 65% being children under 5 killed around 400,000 world wide in 2018.

So when you see large groups of immigrants still gathering while the rest of us Americans are wearing masks and gloves, they come from areas where covid 19 would be a blessing to catch over some of the other things that they could come down with back home.  

Lets be safe, be smart, protect our families.  Life has to go on.  

• Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    Unless we all become skilled tradesmen, farmers, seamstresses and horse traders over night we cannot just close it down.

Our economy, our infrastructure, our overall populations ability to adult isn't built to withstand total shutdown for even a week.

Do you have any idea of how many families are out there that cannot cook a grilled cheese?  How many families that cannnot stock up and plan 3 days of meals much less 2 weeks.  We are a society that needs HOT warning labels on our coffee cups.

A total shut down will lead to panic and nothing is more dangerous than a mob of scared hungry people. 

We are a nation with a large percentage of population who cannot fend for themselves.  Basic things like plumbing repair,  unclogging a sink, resetting a tripped breaker are well beyond the capacity of
    many.    We are a nation that depends on others for a huge percentage of our daily life.

Must suck to be those people 🙄
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,570 mod
    I don't think stopping it is the goal.  Quarantining only spreads out the peak over a longer period of time.  We end up with the same number of ICU cases, but it doesn't exceed the number of ICU beds we have at any given time.  
  • Options
    This is going to thin out the heard for sure...
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    rasbury said:
    This is going to thin out the heard for sure...
    Also the herd too. :smile:  I agree.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard the herd may be thinned out. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Tuff room....so where is handy?
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    *Tough ;) (just playing w/ you)
  • Options
    A couple of us have been in touch with Handy.  He's doing fine.  He's taking a little time off from the forum, and has not lost his sense of humor.  It does seem quiet here.  
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He does know that he can’t catch C19 from a message board, right??
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Not like him to take a break from the forum, he doesn’t even own a boat and he still posts here! Hope all is well.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    maybe someone told him his computer could get a virus 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michigan just banned all motorized boating until April 30th. 🥺

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    edited April 2020
    I do not understand how they can ban boating. I know people who live on their boats for 7 months a year. They have leases for winter housing that are up in May and June. Its like they are telling them to get out of their homes. What the heII does boating have to do with this??????? Just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭
    I went out to my boat on Saturday to do some maintenance and put my new seats in.  My boat is on a lift and the marina had a hand painted sign "Closed until further notice. Do not enter."  There isn't a gate so i basically just ignored it.  The ramp is closed, fuel dock is being replaced, store is closed. No employees around so i am sure they just want to minimize the number of people at the marina.  I was there probably 4 hrs and the owner drove past me at least 4 times and never said a word.  DNR keeps a boat right next to me and they came back in right as i was finishing up.  I chatted with them for a few min and have to be honest i wasn't sure if they were going to give me a hard time or not.  Not even a second look.  They did tell me that they were out responding to 3 separate calls.  

As the weather gets nicer it is going to get harder and harder for them to defend shutting down boating.  The cops don't want to have to be the common sense police so unless they give them the ability to keep the fines it is going to be hard to get things enforced everywhere.  
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    For any law enforcement officer, I think the first step would be to request voluntary compliance.  It's not like they are going to roll up and start handing out citations.    
  • Options
    I think if you live on your boat you would need to have a live a board slip in which case it is a home so they shouldn't be able to ban you from it. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People bunching up at the boat ramps. Ignoring guidelines. 

Nobody living on boats around me. We had a couple do that years ago on their sailboat. Cost them a fortune to bubble and heat, no running water. No open bathrooms. No way to reasonably keep it warm inside. They were using outdoor sleeping bags. lol

Remember Michigan has over 1 million registered boats!  All of 37F and 50mph winds today...nobody on the lake anyways.  lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 536 ✭✭✭
    Quite a few people with house barges at my marina, maybe 12, so I don't think they can lock the gates. Going there tomorrow to check things out. Would be happy if I can get in and finish up my spring projects.
  • Options
    My tiny marina has a house boat and one or two living on sailboats that pass through. The Columbia River has a large amount of people living at the marinas. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    People are pretty mad in Chicago.  People saying the season is already a bust and siting legal documents saying we are entitled to our water ways.  I think they are ready to grab pitchforks and head to the state capital
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    I'm so confused!
  • Options
    When states decided you needed to be 16 to get a licence in order to use any watercraft yacht clubs, racing clubs and sailing enthusiasts alike attacked the government because of the kids lazer/Hobie and other small single and 2 handed sailboat races.  The boaters won, the kids got to keep their boats before licensing age.  

People don't like being messed with when it comes to their boats.