Options

Virus

Comments

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doctors and nurses here have been laid off as any non essential or elective surgeries or treatments have been stopped completely.  There are empty floors at all the local hospitals.  I have former hospital worked doing my pick up and deliveries right now.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough situation for sure. I'm a slave to the wealthy so my paycheck and job hasn't dried up yet, luckily they like me, also have no underlying conditions and am "young" - however if this goes on for 6+ months I'll have to start living on the boat at some point. Partly think we should try to re-open certain stuff, the other side thinks that's completely stupid, but as I type this only 3 people have died and there's only 15 cases in my "town"... so that's not a good representation of the real word...will have to hang back and listen to others who are in the hot zones.  
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭✭
    My 2 cents - the controls are needed and have helped, it could have been way worse. But I believe there is latitude to open up and be selective. NYC is a disaster zone but 150 miles away up here it’s not and so things could be opened up. The economic impact will be long lasting and seriously, will kill some people too. There needs to be a sensible balance.

The inconsistencies are an issue also - initially golf courses open but not marinas and then they shut them down and then opened both. Canal work is stopped so locks are in bits and maybe 6 weeks late opening - if at all (and that is a month later anyway the past few years). Yet they’re out there doing work in state parks. The town isn’t picking up lawn bags due to COVID - huh? They all wear gloves anyway and the paid contractors have picked up trash without issue.

Time for sensible decisions based on facts and calculated risks.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭
    tried to go to Home Depot yesterday the line was crazy we will see how things go in Georgia I think people are smart enough now to distance themselves from others 
  • Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Went to Home depot yesterday as well, I was amazed how many people were not wearing masks or gloves of any sort. Like business as usual it seemed. Almost all of the employees has masks on. I almost felt odd wearing a mask and gloves but at least I feel some sort of comfort. They were more busy than I have ever seen it there !
    Post edited by earl1z19 on
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    its the ones that are not responsible = that are the problem
    and
    its for real ! 
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    I travel all over the country with no mask or gloves. 
  • Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    So how do you protect yourself?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    earl1z19 said:
    So how do you protect yourself?
    The same way I’ve protected myself my whole life. I don’t live in fear of flu like symptoms. 

Up until a few weeks ago, we weren’t even allowed to wear them while on duty. I was in NYC and New Orleans the last week of March and lived to tell about it. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,587 mod
    edited April 2020
    PickleRick said:
    ... 2017 to 2018 flu season claimed approx 61k in the U.S. alone.  ... outside hot spots like NYC i still see no reason for everything to be shut down everywhere else. 
    The Rona will kill many more than 61k, and it's doing that even with the entire country shut down.  How many more would have died if we had treated it like normal flu?  But that's a useless discussion.  

Like @69fastback I also had to miss burying a relative this week.  It stinks.  And I accept that it's necessary.  
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about COVID hitting the military now???
  • Options
    I'm certainly no expert in public health policy, but some people don't seem to grasp the difference between protecting a person and protecting people.  Protecting a person from COVID-19 is easy.  Protecting people seems totally different.   

There's a movie quote:  "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."  Name that movie!  
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's easy... Men in Black... I believe it was Tommy Lee Jones...!
  • Options
    And now for something completely different.  Are you looking for something interesting to watch on Netflix or Amazon Prime during your quarantine? 

Check out the mini-series "Waco" about the standoff with the Branch Davidians.  Really, really interesting story, and well-told with great acting.  

It was extra-cool for us because we know the real-life Gary Noesner, who was the lead negotiator from the FBI's Hostage Rescue Team.  He makes a cameo appearance at the end of the series, which was fun to watch.  
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    And now for something completely different.  Are you looking for something interesting to watch on Netflix or Amazon Prime during your quarantine? 

Check out the mini-series "Waco" about the standoff with the Branch Davidians.  Really, really interesting story, and well-told with great acting.  

It was extra-cool for us because we know the real-life Gary Noesner, who was the lead negotiator from the FBI's Hostage Rescue Team.  He makes a cameo appearance at the end of the series, which was fun to watch.  
    Shameless is 100 times better 😎
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    I'm certainly no expert in public health policy, but some people don't seem to grasp the difference between protecting a person and protecting people.  Protecting a person from COVID-19 is easy.  Protecting people seems totally different.   

I get what you’re saying, and given then nature of my job, I don’t go visit anyone, and pretty well stay at home when I’m not working. Being smart doesn’t mean being scared. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    The what ifs can be rampant. So what happens to an area that has had little exposure and opens up and the b8g town next to it is a hot mess still closed? Those people travel and now little town is a hot mess. All these deaths in a few weeks- flu season deaths over six months with no precautions? We are talking very different animals- but, we have to sensibly get going again somehow. Sure whish someone had all the answers but know one does do they...
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    The what ifs can be rampant. So what happens to an area that has had little exposure and opens up and the b8g town next to it is a hot mess still closed? Those people travel and now little town is a hot mess. All these deaths in a few weeks- flu season deaths over six months with no precautions? We are talking very different animals- but, we have to sensibly get going again somehow. Sure whish someone had all the answers but know one does do they...
    That last statement is a fact. It’s a weird time we are in. My number one priority is to look out for my own family and that’s a tough thing for most people in these awkward times. 
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    Went to a local hardware store the other day. It's about 1/3 the size of a HD or Lowes but they were only letting 10 in at a time. Had to wait outside until somebody came out. Husband and wife in front of us couldn't go in together until another person came out. Luckily 2 people came out when me and my wife were next in line. But once we got in they announced no browsing because people were outside waiting. Get what you need and get out. We waited outside about 20 minutes. About 10-15 in front of us when we got there
  • Options
    boatman37 said:
    Went to a local hardware store the other day. It's about 1/3 the size of a HD or Lowes but they were only letting 10 in at a time. Had to wait outside until somebody came out. Husband and wife in front of us couldn't go in together until another person came out. Luckily 2 people came out when me and my wife were next in line. But once we got in they announced no browsing because people were outside waiting. Get what you need and get out. We waited outside about 20 minutes. About 10-15 in front of us when we got there
    Did you wear masks???
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wearing a mask is onky as effective as your sterilization of everything else you touched, rubbed against and purchased while in public. 

Its a false sense of security to many who wear them.

Look into the inflated covid deaths which increase the reimbursement to hospital systems.   Deaths are being written off as covid deaths with zero autopsy despite some having life threatening pre-existing conditions.  Info that gets taken off social media and mainstream media won't allow. 

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree on the masks. But the second part? It's all an elaborate hoax to get more hospital funding? Seeing any black helicopters lately? 😆
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I agree the deaths are inflated.  But I disagree with anyone that makes a statement about "if I get sick...I'll get better".  It's not about you as an individual getting sick.  It's you passing it to 4 people and they to 4 more and so on.

That you could be infected and not show symptoms is an issue as well.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would guess that due to bandwidth they cant autopsy everyone. I am sure many hospitals are calling it Covid-19 if the symptoms are there. The Covid could have pushed their life threatening issue over the edge, then you could call it one or the other. I am sure there are some bad apples out there, there always will be, but I cant imagine the stacks of bodies some hospitals are dealing with.

With regard to the masks yes they should be used and yes they should be used combined with good hygiene.... hand washing, sanitizer, etc. Makes no sense to not wear one, doesnt hurt anything? I've got no problem with a requirement to wear masks in public, I just hope that more stores put out jugs of sanitizer as it becomes more available. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    skennelly said:
    I agree the deaths are inflated.  But I disagree with anyone that makes a statement about "if I get sick...I'll get better".  It's not about you as an individual getting sick.  It's you passing it to 4 people and they to 4 more and so on.

If a person has underlying conditions, they should stay at home. The huge majority of people that get the virus will be fine, and the huge majority that dies from it have underlying/pre existing conditions. The unfortunate few (very very few. Like a fraction of a percent) that have no pre existing conditions and die, can’t expect the world to stop for them. 
  • Options
    skennelly said:

Exactly.  When I have to go to a public place, I behave as if the infected one is ME, not them.  
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Exactly.  When I have to go to a public place, I behave as if the infected one is ME, not them.  
    That's how every is supposed to be handling this and should think!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    shawnmjr said:
    When hospitals are running out of body bags and having to store bodies in refrigerated trucks because they are out of places to put bodies should be enough to let everyone know this is not the flu and it is multiplying a lot faster. I was kind of relaxed too when this first started, but now I get it. My wife is an RN and her and tons of other nurses are coming home crying everyday because of the things they are seeing. My wife has been a nurse for 20 years and a lot of other nurses have been doing this for a lot longer and have never seen anything like this. Once this is over there will be plenty of nurses and people that will need therapy and even develop PTSD for years to come. Just the flu huh?
    All the nurses here are getting layed off because the hospitals are empty. They’re going to need help supporting their families and finding work. 
  • Options
    My daughter is an ER nurse here at the new children’s hospital and is not busy at all. 
    I think @raybo3 could help in Boston by finally getting his plastic surgery and is lobotomy scheduled!!!