Options

Virus

Comments

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was released from the hospital.  The families dont keep in touch anymore but being i still have a lot of family in that area so I get a bit of news from time to time.  

My dad always said his sister could throw a better spiral than he could. 
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    I'm about 20 miles from Butler. Knew Hanratty was from around here but didn't know exactly where. FWIW Brett Michaels is from Butler too. I was asked to work a security detail for him when he came back here several years ago but I couldn't do it. They were looking for 4 law enforcement officers to follow him while he was here.
    Another guy from Butler was the guitarist for Lizzy Borden. I was called to work a detail at the VFW park about 10 years ago to work a detail for some guy that was killed by a drunk driver. Turns out it was Thin Lizzy guitarist Corey Daum. I wasn't familiar with him but it was cool to get to work it. He was killed by a drunk driver several years earlier
  • Options
    Butler highshool put out lots of famous people, im not sure how many my family knew.  There were 8 siblings.

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    I used to go to Butler for a very good car show and swap meet in my younger days.  Lots of fun!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    Dream, I used to go to Butler for that same car show. I think the last I attended was in the late 80's when we would take our lifted trucks there for the show
  • Options
    earl1z19 said:
    Dream, I used to go to Butler for that same car show. I think the last I attended was in the late 80's when we would take our lifted trucks there for the show
    yep, it was in mid to late 80s for me as well.  We may have passed each other! :)  I built half of my old truck from a bunch of those swap meets!  I sure enjoyed those times with my father!

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dream_Inn said:
    I used to go to Butler for a very good car show and swap meet in my younger days.  Lots of fun!
    That swap meet used to be at the Big Butler Fairground on US422. I remember hearing the commercials every summer when I was a child. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    Man. I used to go to that swap meet in the early 90's. Ate at the Fairground Market across the road a bunch too. It was the Parts-a-Rama. In the early 2000's I worked security there too. I drive by there every time I go to Butler. My step-son is a detective in New Castle.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Parts-a-Rama!!! That's it! I couldn't think of the name of it earlier today.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Oh yeah!  With the name, I now remember it advertised on the radio back then too!  Man that was a lot of fun and brings back some great memories!

• Options
    rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rkinross said:
    @aero3113 Sick!
    LoL!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    My mom got to hit the flea market for the first time since tshtf with the covid bs.

Georgia is still well ahead of sc in opening stores. I've heard Florida(not the keys) is already planning on opening stuff back up as well.

People have a short memory and don't recall 2017 to 2018 flu season claimed approx 61k in the U.S. alone.  Every year since 2010 a minimum of 12,000 a year are lost in the U.S. due to the common flu.  

Im sure i sound like a right wing radical but outside hot spots like NYC i still see no reason for everything to be shut down everywhere else. 

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @shawnmjr. No vaccine for the common cold, flu, or Aids either. 
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 541 ✭✭✭
    Can’t catch aids from someone coughing near you. Apples and oranges
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And they don't even have to cough. Just have to handle something or touch it and the virus can live for hours and someone else touches it and there you go. But as I said before, I'm done trying to convince anybody. You be you and I'll be me and hopefully a year from now we're all still on here. If the forum is still here but that's another thread.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    How many lives are we ruining with the complete shutdown, to protect a very minuscule percentage of the population?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Lets also not forget tuberculosis or t.b. is treatable with months of antibiotics.  Known to spread person to person and is/can be spread airborne.  Still kills millions worldwide each year.  4.5 mil in 2018 alone

As far as the common flu strains, they only guess at what strains will be in circulations when vaccines are given so they are maybe half right half the time at best with how much it prevents.   Even if they guess right its not guarantee you wont contract it and then you hope it at least lessens the severity.

Hospitals stopped giving tests on employees for mrca, the super bug that killed 20,000 in 2017, because so many are carriers.

The quarantine slowed the spread in some households and  increased it in others.  The powers that be will not allow major media outlets to publish findings that make their decisions look bad.   Due to shortage of tests many do not get tested.  Medical staff are not being tested, those with mild symptoms are not being tested unless they are at high risk.  Those with no symptoms naturally dont get tested.  The death rate percentages are much lower than advertised if you favor this into totals.  Any university or research facility publishing  counting these factors into mortality rates are being discredited or blasted as being radical right wing.  Lets also touch base on the rushed, improperly tested FDA approved tests being circulated that private labs have found to yeld false positives.  

• Options
    Well, I'm lucky that I have a job and can still go to work each day.  The same for my wife, but she is in the middle of all of this as an RN educator.  I'm here to just listen when she comes home each day.  I would have a hard time saying, just open things up and go about.  This not normal guys and hard to believe anyone just compares to flu....unless an overflowing morgue and several, yes several, people dying everyday on floors that are normally designated as surgical.  Hospital more than half full and increasing with just this.  Those places that don't have many issues should be so thankful that places like NY, NJ, MD, all buttoned up to reduce it from spreading your way.  Hopefully this doesn't sound like I'm on a rant, not intended. I really don't like this discussion on my favorite site.

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uh oh here comes that path again. 😕. 

1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    People tend to overlook one of the major reasons for the shelter in place order, in addition to slowing the spread, is to prevent overwhelming the healthcare system.

As an example, think if there was no shelter in place order in New York which is an epicenter of the virus. Besides dealing with a exponential increase of Covid cases, hospitals would also have auto accidents, industrial accidents, restaurant workers cutting or burning themselves, normal flu cases, etc. All the stuff that clogs up the healthcare network on a normal day - in addition to Covid.

Sheltering in place slows down other healthcare needs so that healthcare can concentrate on the pandemic.
  • Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    Well, I'm lucky that I have a job and can still go to work each day.  The same for my wife, but she is in the middle of all of this as an RN educator.  I'm here to just listen when she comes home each day.  I would have a hard time saying, just open things up and go about.  This not normal guys and hard to believe anyone just compares to flu....unless an overflowing morgue and several, yes several, people dying everyday on floors that are normally designated as surgical.  Hospital more than half full and increasing with just this.  Those places that don't have many issues should be so thankful that places like NY, NJ, MD, all buttoned up to reduce it from spreading your way.  Hopefully this doesn't sound like I'm on a rant, not intended. I really don't like this discussion on my favorite site.
    The hospitals here are laying off nurses and ER doctors in large numbers because the hospitals are completely empty. The hospitals here are large multi floor facilities and they’ve shut down all the floors, except one, because they are ghost towns. 2 of my neighbors are layed off nurses, as well as 2 other good friends. 
  • Options
    TonyG13 said:
    People tend to overlook one of the major reasons for the shelter in place order, in addition to slowing the spread, is to prevent overwhelming the healthcare system.

As an example, think if there was no shelter in place order in New York which is an epicenter of the virus. Besides dealing with a exponential increase of Covid cases, hospitals would also have auto accidents, industrial accidents, restaurant workers cutting or burning themselves, normal flu cases, etc. All the stuff that clogs up the healthcare network on a normal day - in addition to Covid.

Sheltering in place slows down other healthcare needs so that healthcare can concentrate on the pandemic.
    And will lead to record unemployment, wiped out retirements, closed businesses, which will lead to suicides and destroyed lives in record numbers, when the extreme large majority of people would just be sick with flu like symptoms for 10 days, and then could go on with their normal lives. More people are going to be drastically affected with what we are doing, then what people catching the virus would do. 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    It is a rough conversation and although this may not be the place for it, at least we all have a common bond. We just have to remember to sometimes agree to disagree.
    Like @Dream_Inn above we have a direct line as my daughter is a front line worker in a long term care home and it hits  close to home. She lives with us so if she gets exposed....and there have been over 700 deaths in our immediate area. Never mind politics, if you look at the geographic areas of some of the comments  some are hard hit and get why we need to isolate and others not so much so are wondering what all the fuss is about. One thing I will absolutely not agree on though are statements like we need to open things back up and if people die, so what, they die all the time anyway. Not true. Even one preventable death is too many. Because who gets to play God and decide? Is it my mother or your mother? My family or yours? My child or yours? I'd bet  that if any of the people that are calling for things to be opened up had any direct experience with a true case they'd change their tune. So if you haven't, good for you and I hope your luck holds out.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,464 admin
    I work for public transportation and our bus drivers are taking a beating. Now with that said, we cant make the cure worse than the cause. Putting people out of work for long term is not the answer. IMO they should have just had a complete shut down for a 2 or 3 week period. We had a stay in place here but yet I could go to a new car dealer and buy a care but I could not go to a dentist. INSANE. People will lose their homes and wont be able to feed their family's................ OK rant over...lol  STAY SAFE EVERYONE!!
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    @69fastback I definitely hear what you are saying.  Be very thankful the hospital's not full of COVID, like here.  Hey, if you think things should just open up, then why shouldn't it for all (not saying you didn't think that). I'm sure it would be a matter of weeks, then your hospitals would be full too.  It is very easy for those that aren't in the middle of it to think things should open back up.  Heck, I do wonder it too. But, when my wife comes home from work, like today - she never works weekends. and heads straight for the shower and clothes go right in washing machine, I remember why.  Guys, there are only imaginary lines drawn between states.  Pleas be safe.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Willhound said:
    It is a rough conversation and although this may not be the place for it, at least we all have a common bond. We just have to remember to sometimes agree to disagree.
    Like @Dream_Inn above we have a direct line as my daughter is a front line worker in a long term care home and it hits  close to home. She lives with us so if she gets exposed....and there have been over 700 deaths in our immediate area. Never mind politics, if you look at the geographic areas of some of the comments  some are hard hit and get why we need to isolate and others not so much so are wondering what all the fuss is about. One thing I will absolutely not agree on though are statements like we need to open things back up and if people die, so what, they die all the time anyway. Not true. Even one preventable death is too many. Because who gets to play God and decide? Is it my mother or your mother? My family or yours? My child or yours? I'd bet  that if any of the people that are calling for things to be opened up had any direct experience with a true case they'd change their tune. So if you haven't, good for you and I hope your luck holds out.
    My grandmother died 2 days ago and I couldn’t see her, and we can’t have services. If people are dying from it, then God is playing God. Why destroy more lives by destroying the whole country?

and I’m in the transportation industry too, and an out there almost every day. Our airline took the CARES act money, so at least I won’t get furloughed until October, and I’m not concerned about catching the virus. If I do, I do, and I’ll be sick, then I’ll be fine. Since I’m high exposure, I use my head and don’t visit my mom or my grandmas. 
  • Options
    @69fastback sorry to hear about your grandmother.  I could not imagine a funeral during all of this.  Please accept my condolences.

• Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    @69fastback sorry to hear about your grandmother.  I could not imagine a funeral during all of this.  Please accept my condolences.
    Thank you. It sucks knowing she was alone in a room. It wasn’t COVID19 related. It was just her time.