Options

CIVID Boating

Comments

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im sure George jetson wanted to crash his ship, take it down in a blaze of glory. Between his dead end job with spacely sprockets and his family bleeding him dry at the beginning of each episode, the guy had to hate his life.  I bet the only thing that kept him going was his affair with their house keeper, Rosie.
    Wow you really took that to a dark place. 😆
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    I've been giving it a lot of thought and have decided that this isn't the proper outlet to express my views on Covid-19 so this will be my last post on the issue.
    If I have ruffled any feathers I apologise, none of my comments were meant to personal, they merely were meant to express my frustration as I have a hard time understanding how some people (everywhere, not just here)  just don't seem to get that it's not all about them. I am not a religious person, but I do feel that we all have a responsibility to try and help each other and look after our fellow man and if that mean's staying away, I'll do it. Not because of fear of catching it (although that is a factor) but more because I know that there is every possibility for someone to carry it and not know, and pass it on to others. Therefore some of my comments regarding venturing out for what I consider non-essential reasons but I totally understand that what I consider non-essential may not apply to others. So to each there own. You do what you feel you have to do and I'll do what I have to do, and when this is all over may we all still be on friendly terms and get back to our mutual love of boating and our Rinker's.
    Cheers!
    It's always hard to have any sort of serious discussion on a message board. These are best done around a fire with some beers. I don't think any of us have grown to hate anyone on here. 

I have spent a lot of time on here lately and it has made me even more excited about using my boat and working on it so this has been a great experience on the forum for me. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    I've been giving it a lot of thought 
    Cheers!
    I my self have not been offended. Agree a message board is hard to express your frustration. When I make a comment I have to realise many different people in many different places will read this and I'm not good at expressing my opinion so I try to just post helpful comments to fix your boat.  The forum helps me know there a bunch of people like me that can't stop think of there boat. I will mount outdrive's today and stay safe and stay home.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While i don't agree with you @willhound i respect your opinion.   

We are all from all over the country as well as different countries.  We vary in economic status as well as views of religion.

One thing that brings us all together is boating.  

I think the ability of keeping a sense of humor and finding enjoyment in life is more important in these uncertain times than its ever been.  

I'm stuck working with customers all day every day, many don't respect personal space.  They ignore our posted customer limits on the doors and need to constantly be asked to wait outside.

I feel that im able to tow the boat from home, launch and spend the entire weekend on the lake while avoiding contact with others more so than i can at work.  The admiral is grocery store management, she is the same way.

We both want the same thing, for this to all pass.  Truth is, this will change life forever and will be felt/remembered for decades.  Im more at risk of spreading this at work than i am boating.  Getting out on the water with the family is a necessity, blowing off steam.

If i don't hit the water soon im going to need to find a new vice.  I've always heard hookers, booze and cocaine were a great way to pass the time back in 70s and 80s. 

I do work out/jog 4 to 6 times a week(at home gym) but that isn't a release to me. That's just keeping me in shape so i can hoist that anchor, chain and rode every weekend all summer, something many of you spoiled windlass guys know nothing about.

There are really only 2 types of people in this world

Those with a windlass and those without

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod
    edited April 2020
    Hey now, I used to pull my anchor up by hand.  Even though my boat has a windless and look fancy to some, anyone that knows me will say I'm the first to hop in anyone's engine room, give them a hand and get dirty....my point is, don't let that windlass deceive you.😁

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    You have all that extra energy to help others because of that windlass!!! 😄
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭
    I don’t mind the discussions until they get really political.

I’d like to see practicality applied now. For example, NY state has 100% work form home unless essential so I can and do go to my office, all my staff is field based anyway so I am the only one there. No non-essential construction, focus on low income housing and medical, some parks are closed, only takeout etc from restaurant. Yet you can go play golf as long as you practice social distancing. So why can’t companies not doing low income housing and medical - nor have the request for it - continue to do regular construction? My neighbor has his backyard landscaping and pool stopped because of this, a contractor friend can’t continue to build out a new restaurant so it can be ready when we can all go back out to dinner.

It makes sense to be mindful, careful etc but not to be so restrictive where it doesn’t need to be. A guy in a Bobcat is by default going to be 6 feet away, masks and distancing inside a site is safe. Lets allow the corner to be turned ready for once things go other way.

Time to be less restrictive  and more selective and proactive to turn things around as soon as possible.

Steps down of box.  B)

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    If anyone needs bandanas to use as face masks send me a pm, my step mom is sales at i believe the only usa based bandana manufacturering facility.  Face masks are going to be hard to find for a while.  As of now i can still get my hands on some inventory.

I feel like we do need to open things back up, any line of work where we can sit/stand/dine/shop 6ft or more apart but not until we have face masks, gloves, sanitizer and sterilization cleaners readily available.

I feel like for the next year or two face masks will become the norm in public.
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the Home Depot parking lot not private property? Story sounds fishy. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    It will lead to lawsuits just like cops waiting across the street from bars.

Pick up a pad lock if you're shopping, tell them you're needing to lock up your essential stock pile of toilet paper. Paint and tomato plants were just impulse buys
  • Options
    Many of our stores and shoping centers have signs in the parking lots saying they are under the jurisdiction of county\city police department.  Its been that way for decades.
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    I can assure you my step-son would not be ticketing anyone for buying non-essential items unless he was being directed by his chief and was being watched for it. I'm pretty sure he would probably tell his chief he wasn't doing it. He has done that before over stupid stuff...lol. And was right when it was said and done.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    The real victims here are petty thieves.  How you gonna rob when errabody home all day long?  Have some empathy.  
  • Options
    That was bad humor.  I agree with @Willhound all the way. Gotta keep our heads screwed on straight here.  
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Home depot has been packed around here- no where else to go and might as well get those home projects done!
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    I was outside washing the boat today. Next door neighbor was cutting grass and his wife was planting plants. They are remodeling their bathroom right now too and the neighbor on the other side of him was pressure washing his deck
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    @shawnmjr = are ya gonna give the dog a sip or what
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    boatman37 said:
    I was outside washing the boat today. Next door neighbor was cutting grass and his wife was planting plants. They are remodeling their bathroom right now too and the neighbor on the other side of him was pressure washing his deck
    I don't see anything wrong with that ... I've been doing a lot of work around my property ... no point in sitting beside each other staring at walls. I think as long as you are cautious leaving your own property, that is fine.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Maryland recently clarified the restrictions on boating.  Everyone must obey social distancing guidelines, and:

* fishing charters - ok
    * individuals fishing or crabbing to keep for food - ok
    * kayak or stand-up paddleboard for exercise - ok
    * all other recreational boating - banned in Maryland waters

So I am restricted to my home creek.  It's a tributary of the Potomac, but it's Virginia waters.

Or I could do something I've never actually got around to doing:  get a fishing license and go catch some fish!  

When I got my first boat, a Maxum 2400 SCR in 1998, we used to anchor about 200 yards from the marina, just to see which boats would come out to join us.  I guess we'll start doing that again!
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭
    So fishing charters are okay where you could get within the 6' limit of others based on being there and doing what you are doing yet recreational boating where you are happy to keep away from others and in more control to do so is not. Makes no sense.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    @LaRea I've looked into the fishing license as well.  May end up doing that.  I think for now I will uncover my boat next Friday (letting some of this tree pollen get thru first) and enjoy it for a couple weekends just in the marina.  It's a nice spot with a good view off the back of the boat anyhow.

@icoultha it states people limits for charters or fishing boats and that people need to have 6' social distance.  Doesn't make much sense.

• Options
    I just sprang $40 for a Virginia fresh/salt license, which also lets me fish in Maryland waters.  Now I just need some gear.  

Also, I need to put some bananas on the boat.  I want to fish, but I don't necessarily want to CATCH fish.  
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A NY fishing license is free. I always found that strange but I guess they just want to keep track of how many people are fishing? I’m sure not everyone has one.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    There will NEVER be bananas on our boat!  we've had enough bad luck over the years!  The admiral doesn't even allow my favorite banana muffins or bread.

@LaRea - did you get a boat one, or just one for yourself?  If VA one covers MD and VA, I may have to look to see if theirs is cheaper....but I thought about getting one to cover the boat.  We have a few rods since my son likes to play around.

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its called fishing not catching.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Chuck Norris doesn't go fishing.  Fishing implies an element of chance.  Chuck Norris goes killing.  

@Dream_Inn, I got a license for myself.  You might be better off getting a MD "pleasure boat" decal that covers the boat -- but you still have to register the people who will use it.  I don't think VA honors MD licenses, but I might be wrong.
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭
    I get one every year. The boat fishing license automatically covers everyone in the boat. No registration of the people. It also gives you a personal license to use outside of the boat. It doesnt cover crabbing though. That is a seperate license.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    I get one every year. The boat fishing license automatically covers everyone in the boat. No registration of the people. It also gives you a personal license to use outside of the boat. It doesnt cover crabbing though. That is a seperate license.
    That's what I kind of remembered.  Thanks David!  I looked a little into this online, but I'll look more today or tomorrow and hopefully can purchase online (I have my DNR ID thingy online, so that should help).  This would at least allow us to anchor on our own and enjoy some peacefulness on the boat. :)

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Maryland recently clarified the restrictions on boating.  Everyone must obey social distancing guidelines, and:

* fishing charters - ok
    * individuals fishing or crabbing to keep for food - ok
    * kayak or stand-up paddleboard for exercise - ok
    * all other recreational boating - banned in Maryland waters

So I am restricted to my home creek.  It's a tributary of the Potomac, but it's Virginia waters.

Or I could do something I've never actually got around to doing:  get a fishing license and go catch some fish!  

When I got my first boat, a Maxum 2400 SCR in 1998, we used to anchor about 200 yards from the marina, just to see which boats would come out to join us.  I guess we'll start doing that again!

Get a fishing license. It's like 0.0000001% the cost of owning a boat ... and 3/4 of the time your boating to just try and get to a good fishing spot ... wink, wink.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"