Options

CIVID Boating

Comments

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our shop was a full service station and garage built in the 40s.  
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hypothetical question:  If a boat that qualifies as a house (head, cooking facility and a bed) is anchored, would being on the boat qualify as being at home?  
    @LaRea I must agree with you how is this any different then standing in line at Walmart or Home depot 6ft a part. The parks are open and the parking lots are full. But we close boat ramps on this thought there's always talk about high water line as far as trespassing so does the town or state control the ocean?
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a lot of people are missing the point. Or call it my personal opinion. It's not the sitting on the boat per se that is the issue. The travelling back and forth is an issue in that if there's an accident, doesn't have to be your fault, now EMS etc has to attend therefore putting more people at risk. Or your boat breaks down, you calling SeaTow? Same thing. The whole point of a stay at home guidance is to stay at home....not find ways around it. My 2 cents .
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    This is officially out of hand.
    Post edited by YYZRC on
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Ordering stay at home still puts people at risk.  Families confined to small spaces.  With stores being limited to few everyone who gets supplies gets them at one of the few remaining open stores.  The change you get from the cashier or the card swiper are probably the dirtiest things you'll touch.  Youll then carry that germ infested hand to the car where all your bags, steering wheel, shifter,  controls and door handles will all be contaminated.

When you get home you'll bring that contamination in and spread it to all you touch. 

Your locked in family is only as safe as the supply runner is.  

Sea tow, towing service and ems are safer dealing with you and your few passengers than they are getting milk and eggs from the store.

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭
    @YYZRC 80 percent of the people in the hospital are under 50 yrs old. They are there for 10+ days and fighting for thier lives. It just isnt that simple unfortunately. I think the other thing to consider is that as a group we are resposible....lots of other boaters i have seen arent. How do they seperate the two groups?
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    @YYZRC 80 percent of the people in the hospital are under 50 yrs old. They are there for 10+ days and fighting for thier lives.
    Where is that statistic from?
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In New York it's about 20% under age 50. Elsewhere it looks to be closer to 10-15%. This is a continuing problem so theses numbers will take many weeks to level out and get more accurate long term statistics
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    javhavjavhav Member Posts: 420 ✭✭✭
    shawnmjr said:
    Is that a jail bathroom @PickleRick
    Lmao 
  • Options
    Haters gonna hate, boaters gonna boat.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    YYZRC said:
    @YYZRC 80 percent of the people in the hospital are under 50 yrs old. They are there for 10+ days and fighting for thier lives.
    Where is that statistic from?
    Currently in the Province of Ontario 67% of cases are 59 and under, from here:
    https://www.ontario.ca/page/2019-novel-coronavirus#section-0

Age            # cases   Percentage

19 and under
    20-391,02528.2
    40-591,31936.3
    60-7990324.9
    80 and over2877.9

So 2/3d's are 59 and under. And 20-39 is over one quarter.
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭
    This is the morbidity/mortality rate from the CDC from February 12–March 16, 2020.

Trying to find updated stats, but clearly shows this is not just an "old people" disease...

The figure is a bar chart showing the number of coronavirus disease 2019 COVID-19 hospitalizations intensive care unit admissions and deaths by age group in the United States during February 12 March 16 2020
  • Options
    None of us would be dealing with any of this if it wasn't for that Carol Baskins

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Willhound said:
    Currently in the Province of Ontario 67% of cases are 59 and under, from here:
    https://www.ontario.ca/page/2019-novel-coronavirus#section-0

Age            # cases   Percentage

19 and under
    20-391,02528.2
    40-591,31936.3
    60-7990324.9
    80 and over2877.9

So 2/3d's are 59 and under. And 20-39 is over one quarter.
    That's total cases, not hospitalized cases.  I'm not disputing the fact that this virus can infect anyone of any age, rather I'm led to believe that the majority of deaths are coming from older individuals or those with preexisting conditions.

Regardless of the approach taken by governments, people will die - especially older people or those with pre-existing conditions.  It is a question of how to balance loss of life against limitations on one's freedom and the mental health challenges that result from loss of freedom (including loss of employment).  My personal belief is that the Ontario government has taken too many half measures causing this shutdown to be extended again (and surely again).  Perhaps most frustrating, when this is all over, confirmation bias will kick in and everyone will be celebrating "success".

I want to get on my boat as much as the next person, but it's not about that.  Humans are social animals and one of the consequences of that is the spread of germs/viruses.  I miss interacting with people.
    Post edited by YYZRC on
  • Options
    Does that really matter? You want to take a chance catching this hospitalized or not? I really don't get why anybody is even questioning this anymore. This is not some left wing/government intervention conspiracy. You can't fake hundreds of coffins lined up in the streets of Europe and if you don't think that can happen here......
    Some of you guys gotta get over the idea that somebody is taking your precious toy away.
  • Options
    Willhound said:
    Does that really matter? You want to take a chance catching this hospitalized or not? I really don't get why anybody is even questioning this anymore. This is not some left wing/government intervention conspiracy. You can't fake hundreds of coffins lined up in the streets of Europe and if you don't think that can happen here......
    Some of you guys gotta get over the idea that somebody is taking your precious toy away.
    I don't think most people think it is a conspiracy.  Rather, I think that a lot of people who are in precarious or even (formerly) stable retail employment scenarios are questioning if they will ever have a job again and what they might lose as a result of this.

Just over 200 people have died in Canada from C19 as of today and a high percentage of households are reporting job losses due to C19 and the response.  The federal wage subsidy program sounds nice but it's pointless if your business doesn't recover and therefore you don't need that employee anymore.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6726202/coronavirus-canada-job-loss-poll/
  • Options
    I agree with you there @YYZRC . I'm one of those workers. Still working but it's day to day.
    But the other factor we need to look at is that we are no where near the peak yet and numbers are going up exponentially not linear. Whatever it takes to slow that growth is what we need to do...in my opinion. Personally I do not agree with the opinion of many that we need to open things back up and any losses of life are collateral damage and acceptable. Who's lives do we foresake? The old? The poor ? Who's family?
    Anyway, off topic. As far as boating during all this, it's the least of my worries. If things settle down and j can go, great. If not, I'm cool with that too. As long as we're all alive.
  • Options
    @YYZRC i just noticed you edited and added to your post above. Agree with a lot of it. Especially the mental health aspect.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Haters gonna hate, boaters gonna boat.

Checked out Tavernier key today for the first time.. absolutely breathtaking, haven't seen water this clear since moving here. Was riding solo, didn't see any big parties or anything, looked like people are keeping it to their own families.. I haven't had to interact in person with anyone since Tuesday... 

• Options
    @J3ff I'm so friggin jealous right now. But also happy for ya bud.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me too...I'm getting crap done around the house that was not getting done boating...next couple of weeks will tell the story in Central Florida for sure. I have two weeks paid vacation as of the 17th... And using up two weeks I never used for the current year(but working on top of) making as much money as I can...hopefully by June things will turn around and I think they will in a big way. All the money in the world that was out there did not go away...
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    YYZRC said:
    That's total cases, not hospitalized cases. ...
    Be careful how you interpret those numbers.  They only reflect CONFIRMED cases, which means you have to get tested.  Who gets tested?  Mostly people at high risk, such as the elderly and people with health conditions.  
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    @J3ff I'm so friggin jealous right now. But also happy for ya bud.
    People told me to sell the jetski.. at the moment it seems like a good idea to keep it. 12 gallon gas tank at 2.05 a gallon, only burned an 8th of a tank using it for 6 hours straight today... can't bring anyone out anyway! 
  • Options
    By May the cold and flu season will be over, we should all be back to normal.  

I'm hoping the keys will open back up by June.  Without tourists the economy down there has to be hurting.  Im ready to head down and eat my weight in fresh seafood.
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    YYZRC said:
    That's total cases, not hospitalized cases. ...
    Be careful how you interpret those numbers.  They only reflect CONFIRMED cases, which means you have to get tested.  Who gets tested?  Mostly people at high risk, such as the elderly and people with health conditions.  
    Absolutely valid point. Ontario put up a self-diagnosis site for C19 and after playing around with different scenarios it is clear that they don’t even want to test you unless you’re in serious distress. 

I know a family that are self-isolating at the direction of their GP. GP has no interest in having them tested as they’re sub-50 and otherwise healthy, unless their health deteriorates. 
  • Options
    Has anyone heard from handy lately? Hows he holding up?
  • Options
    By May the cold and flu season will be over, we should all be back to normal.  
    I hope you're correct.. But you do realize this virus has no "season", right? Can't even compare to a regular cold or flu. We'll be extremely lucky if this is over by May. But not if people don't stop sticking their heads in the sand.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    The current confirmed USA cases are right at 310,000 and deaths a little under 8500.  That's a little over 97% survival rate if my math is correct

On average there are 3700 car deaths a day world wide.

My head isnt in the sand, every day on this earth is a risk.

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The current confirmed USA cases are right at 310,000 and deaths a little under 8500.  That's a little over 97% survival rate if my math is correct

On average there are 3700 car deaths a day world wide.

My head isnt in the sand, every day on this earth is a risk.

This is the exact reason we need to have Jetsons aircraft. They never had accidents on that show. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Im sure George jetson wanted to crash his ship, take it down in a blaze of glory. Between his dead end job with spacely sprockets and his family bleeding him dry at the beginning of each episode, the guy had to hate his life.  I bet the only thing that kept him going was his affair with their house keeper, Rosie.