Options

Happy Spring!

Comments

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Ian said:
    Lake_Bum said:
    This conversation is pathetic. Everyone's minds are made up. Arguing is pointless.  

Happy New Year 🤙

And this is why this thread needs to be closed. Discussion one thing, when friends on here start suggesting others are criminals its gone too far.

Mods - close it down, this is a boating forum.
    To be honest, it kind of seems like there's only a few people here who are getting overly upset about the convo, the majority are okay. Not sure what the problem is... The reality of what's happening right now is def. something to talk about amongst friends. The next couple weeks are going to be interesting to watch while one by one people get sick in the 100's of 1000's and we all participate in a lockdown like we've never seen before....  we're kind of in the middle of it right now..  and this was what I was talking about in the OP.  However this lockdown is just people are sick and can't work.. 

Post edited by J3ff on
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    A guy I know well has tested positive twice. First time before he was vaxxed and second time was after vax. The day before he felt symptoms I was standing next to him talking to him. As for me who knows. I have felt some degree of sickness since 11/10 when I got my 2nd shot so I have had 'symptoms' for almost 2 months now.

Right now seems most people I know are not feeling well, including my son, his wife (who is pregnant), my step-son and his wife and a bunch of acquaintances. Daughter-in-law tried to get tested but the soonest she can get in is Wednesday so won't get the results back until at least Friday or Saturday. Alot of good that does. Son went to all the local drug stores to buy an over the counter test but nobody has them in stock either. My son gets tested weekly at work (PCR) with results within an hour or so since they have a lab on site. He was off this past Friday so didn't get tested this past week.
  • Options
    My son ended up finding a rapid test at a CVS about 30 miles from his house. They had them in a box behind the counter. He bought 3 and his wife came back negative. She is about 6 months pregnant so thats good. He hasn't been tested since September. I thought they got tested weekly but he said thats only if you aren't vaxxed or have symptoms. He was vaxxed as per his company policy so has not been required to get tested weekly.
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Great news about your son wife being test negative boatman37
  • Options
    oscar1 said:
    Great news about your son wife being test negative boatman37

Thanks. Hope she feels better soon. She isn't feeling real bad just enough that she wanted to get tested. She called her doc today on the emergency line and she recommended getting tested to be sure
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    That's what Trump's answer was...quit testing and you'll have no one with Covid, problem solved!”  and by the way when I said this, it was a quote from trump, nothing I made up...
    Like I said, we don't test for colds or flu and no one cares about those numbers Ras!!!
    Maybe because what 6 million people have died from complications from covid? Apples and oranges. Putting our head in the sand was not a viable resource.
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    did the 6 million die from covid or with covid ,we all know the hospitals got $$$$
  • Options
    No one really dies from Covid which was why I was careful to say complications from Covid. It is a virus. No one dies from a virus...just like Aids...you die of complications. Anyone can certainly go into an ICU and argue why they are there, if they can hear you over their ventilators anyway...
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin

@rasbury wait a minute.... I just had a friend who's daughter died who was perfectly healthy who got the Covid virus and was dead in less than a week. A 39 year old healthy girl. Your telling me she didn't die because of Covid. I say BS! 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @raybo3 what Ras was saying is correct. No doubt Covid killed her, but Covid causes other issues like pneumonia, organ failure, heart problems etc. That's what kills you. If she hadn't have caught Covid and was otherwise healthy shed still be alive.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭
    I have been following this for a few weeks and now that i am back to work it is easier to chime in.  Hey when i am typing people think i am working.  So first. Sorry @rasbury I don't but that logic.  COVID kills.  I lost a friend early on who was on a ventilator for 40 days.  Saying it is the complications is like saying "guns don't kill people bullets do".   Second, I am a big fan of science.  Keeping it real and not ignoring numbers even if they don't fit what we wanted.  The reality is that the vaccine is keeping a lot of people out of the hospital.  It isn't an impervious shield.  It is more of an airbag.  It isn't going to keep everyone from  getting into an accident but is keeping a lot more people alive that have gotten into an accident.  To me it was a no brainer.  Get the vaccine, get the booster, wear a mask, stay away as much as possible from people.  At some point everyone is going to get sick from this at least once.  They are seeing people testing positive 2 and 3x now.  So this is not a get sick once and your done thing.  Until science finds that impenetrable shield we are going to have it for a long time.  I wish i had an answer on why some people get sicker than others.  The reading i have done is now measuring viral load.  As in some people get sicker or their bodies allow the virus to multiply so much faster than others.  Why did i not get it but the person i sat next to at a wedding in August get sick?  Was it the booster shot i got 2 weeks earlier? Something was working.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Covid seems like the ultimate Trojan horse- once inside the body it finds a weakness and attacks- yes, that is what I understand. It's the complications, heart and respiratory issues from covid that can  cause death...tomato tomato, had your friends daughter not contracted covid I assume she would still be with you and sorry for the loss.

Where I work it was blowing up many got it, so far one died. Before we were doing any masking or distancing and the guy next to me got, I did not. Several other examples just for me I could list- who knows and wish we had that answer. Maybe it's the amount of booze in my system...
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭
    @rasbury maybe i could write up a study to ask NIH for grant money to test if alcohol prevents covid?  I would be happy to experiment on myself.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    I can be your case study!
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, schools are closed now in Ontario but good news! We can still go hang out at the mall - no Covid there!!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    Well, schools are closed now in Ontario but good news! We can still go hang out at the mall - no Covid there!!
    Well, at least you have some place to ship the kids? This is crazy and everyone seems to have the answer....except me anyway. Crazy.....
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    There's no real mystery why some people get sicker than others.  Two factors:

1. How many COVID nasties did you inhale?

If a sick guy walked past you and sneezed, maybe you only received a small dose.  If you spent two hours drinking at the bar with a sick person, maybe you inhaled a ton of those little nasties.

2. How good is your body at fighting COVID? 

If your body already has antibodies for the COVID variant you inhaled, it knows how to defend itself, and you won't get as sick.  If not, you have to build antibodies from scratch after you get infected, which gives the virus more time to reproduce before you can fight it.  

This, obviously, is the point of getting vaccinated (if you believe in such things).  The vaccine shows you how to develop antibodies before you get infected.  

At least, that's my simple-minded understanding.  
  • Options
    dalekdalek Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    If it is any consolation guys. Our politics and healthcare systems are different, and we are having the exact same arguments on this side of the Atlantic in the UK.
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    from what I see the UK is worse 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lake_Bum said:
    Nobody got the Flu.  Weird, ain't it? 
    My buddy got the flu ... was sick for 3 weeks. Tested negative for COVID.

My family all got COVID. We all double vaxxed. Symptoms were mild. Mainly a dry cough and congestion.

However, I believe that is the weakness of Omicron ... I wouldn't want to get Delta. A lot of people I know that got Delta got it really bad, lost their sense of smell for 2 months to 6 months ... don't know of ANY flu that does that. Just saying ...

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Lake_Bum said:
    Yea....Google would never be untruthful. Or manipulate search engine results, neither would Facebook or Twitter.....oh wait, they have on a regular basis. 
    Use another search engine then ... if it's on the net, you'll find it.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    rasbury said:
    No one really dies from Covid which was why I was careful to say complications from Covid. It is a virus. No one dies from a virus...just like Aids...you die of complications. Anyone can certainly go into an ICU and argue why they are there, if they can hear you over their ventilators anyway...
    To me this is all semantics ... you get COVID and die from it, or from complications from it ... end result is still the same ... you're dead. 

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @raybo3 wondering why this thread goes on, but “sad news” was quickly closed? What is the deciding factor/difference? 

I see the same thing in both. Someone posted something non boating which yielded responses outside of their original intent or initial line of thinking in opening the post. Both full of opinions, assumptions, speculations, etc… 

Glad that “sad news” won’t turn in to the 10 pages that we’ve had to endure here, just can’t help but ask what the difference really is? Thanks 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @raybo3 wondering why this thread goes on, but “sad news” was quickly closed? What is the deciding factor/difference? 

I see the same thing in both. Someone posted something non boating which yielded responses outside of their original intent or initial line of thinking in opening the post. Both full of opinions, assumptions, speculations, etc… 

Glad that “sad news” won’t turn in to the 10 pages that we’ve had to endure here, just can’t help but ask what the difference really is? Thanks 
    Libs
  • Options
    Oh boy, that will close this thread. Necessary comment really steve?
  • Options
    Let's be better than this ladies and gentlemen. I've been on here for almost a decade now ... and we all brothers and sisters. Let's not make some stupid virus and some idiot presidents divide us.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    You are right keep boating my friends.
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well now I'm super curious as to why Al left.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Nobody has anybody's back anymore.  Not to mention considering people brother and sister.  The pandemic simply brought that to the forefront.  It's absolutely clear that a large part of the population could care less about their fellow neighbor.  Maybe get them sick...meh so what.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    I'm going to be more optimistic,  at least with the forum as a whole, can do better. I'm sure all contribute to their communities and we got sucked into boating...all good people. This to shall pass right?
This discussion has been closed.