Options

What did you do to your boat today

Comments

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe @rasbury marina costs are way more down there and so it might balance out depending what you have and how much you use it.

How’s the young lady doing now?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After about an hour of cruising I have a solid alarm go off.   Before I kill the motor I double check my temp and oil gauges.  All good.  I open the side hatch and look at the oil reservoir, all good.  Keep in mind I am a non electronic diesel motor.

My only alarm left is for the glow plugs.  It keeps you from leaving the key on without the engine running.   The glow plugs work off of a relay built into the coolant sensor, it's a 4 prong.  My sender is not transferring the signal over that the glow plugs can cut off.  

Mercruiser no longer offers this part.  

So now I have to hook the motor up to the hose and run it to verify it's the sender not flipping the signal or if it's a faulty relay or even a faulty wire, I doubt it's the latter but let's hope. 

The relay can be found at most automotive suppliers.   

The automatic glow plug controller is also nice.   Worse case scenario I install a tractor style key and led bulb on the dash for glow plug activation.  Turn the key in the back position and it activates the glow plugs.   Once you've done this 10 seconds on 70 degree days or 30 seconds for colder days you then turn it over as usual.  The vm4.2 is a glorified tractor engine but then again so is the Cummins 4 and 6bt.   

Or a last ditch effort to email the European dealer market where the motor parts themselves are still very much in business and see if they sell anything like that sensor but being that it's used in marine/agriculture/automotive application in 4, 5 and 6 cylinder versions.   However usually the host company provides electronics. 

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I winterized the engines today. Just have to service the drives and she’s set for winter. I do have to replace an exhaust manifold gasket on the starboard engine right side. It’s has a leak that has progressively got worse at the end of the season. I’ll replace all the gaskets on that engine when I do it. I want to do water pump’s also but will most likely wait till spring. I also removed the garboard plug, I didn’t bother trying to remove the broken plug. I had an extra assembly laying around so didn’t bother. The new plug that I’m going to use is solid, not hollow like the old one. Something to look out for when you guys have your plug out. @YYZRC , what sealant are you going to use? 5200? I think that’s what I used when I installed this one and it wasn’t an issue to remove.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    I winterized the engines today. Just have to service the drives and she’s set for winter. I do have to replace an exhaust manifold gasket on the starboard engine right side. It’s has a leak that has progressively got worse at the end of the season. I’ll replace all the gaskets on that engine when I do it. I want to do water pump’s also but will most likely wait till spring. I also removed the garboard plug, I didn’t bother trying to remove the broken plug. I had an extra assembly laying around so didn’t bother. The new plug that I’m going to use is solid, not hollow like the old one. Something to look out for when you guys have your plug out. @YYZRC , what sealant are you going to use? 5200? I think that’s what I used when I installed this one and it wasn’t an issue to remove.

4200 just in case you need to replace it again in the future. 5200 does damage on removal as it's supposed to be forever.   
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never use 5200. I will probably use 4200 or a Sika equivalent. 

As an aside, I actually stopped using 3M 4000 as it yellows and it collects dirt really bad. I am now using Sikaflex 295 UV and am very happy with the results. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    @aero3113 is the transom wood dry around the garbord? I’m going to let mine dry out over the winter. In the spring I will epoxy the **** out of the transom and sleeve the drain hole with PVC before reinstalling the garbord plug. 
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    @aero3113 is the transom wood dry around the garbord? I’m going to let mine dry out over the winter. In the spring I will epoxy the **** out of the transom and sleeve the drain hole with PVC before reinstalling the garbord plug. 
    Yes, mine seems dry.
    2008 330EC
  • Options

Had her wrapped today. Do you guys leave your cabin door open or closed throughout winter? I usually leave it closed but was curious.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Closed here
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Around here most leave it closed in case a critter gets aboard. Less easy access.

We actually had one of our dock neighbors bring a racoon back with them this spring. Didn't even know it was on the boat until they got to the dock. A bit surprised to say the least. The harbor put out a trap and got him the next day.
  • Options
    Closed also whether inside or under wrap. With damp rid buckets, empty and closed and a box of bounce scattered around helps with critters and dampness.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,576 mod
    Definitely keep it closed for me!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I was wrapped outside I’d leave cabin door closed and I’d have 4-8 damp rid buckets down below.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    If I was wrapped outside I’d leave cabin door closed and I’d have 4-8 damp rid buckets down below.
    Yea, I usually keep a bunch of damp-rids in the cabin. It’s amazing how much moisture they absorb.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    We are lucky and our indoor cold storage site is dry, I put two small buckets down there for the winter and get maybe 1/2” of water in each bucket. But were we bought the boat was indoor cold with a gravel floor and was terribly wet. There were 10 damp rid buckets and bags in the cabin when we looked at the boat and they were almost all full. Glad they had so many. 

We came out Monday and I winterized the mains on Tuesday. All closed up until February. 

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭✭
    @Liberty44140 - Is the neighbor on your rear overlapping your swim platform?

It's always been a pet peeve of mine when the storage facility puts the bow of one boat over the stern of another. They usually figure storage on square footage and in my mind if I'm paying for that space, I should not have any obstructions over my "airspace."

The place i am now does not do that - and it's appreciated.
  • Options
    Yep he is overlapping. Maybe halfway in to my platform, still room to lift the engine hatch and the rear locker. I don’t love it but I have a ton of room all the way around so it’s fine. Many places here stack the boats so the stern is low and the bow is high meaning the anchor pulpit is often 5-8 feet in the boat hanging over the cockpit. Insane. The last two years I’ve been backed against a wall so no overhang but the pattern was full against the wall this year. Next year I am going to heated and no overlap in heated. 

• Options
    Today she ended up on the trailer ready to winterize and store. Fenders, lines, MarineMat all bought home and washed, try and mostly away. After winterized and away, down comes the canvas and on goes the cover and bow tarps.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tis a sad time...but most of you have winter entertainment....ski, snowmobiles...some scenery besides a beach! Plus and minuses I guess...
  • Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    Yep he is overlapping. Maybe halfway in to my platform, still room to lift the engine hatch and the rear locker. I don’t love it but I have a ton of room all the way around so it’s fine. Many places here stack the boats so the stern is low and the bow is high meaning the anchor pulpit is often 5-8 feet in the boat hanging over the cockpit. Insane. The last two years I’ve been backed against a wall so no overhang but the pattern was full against the wall this year. Next year I am going to heated and no overlap in heated. 
    I am in in heated and they still overlap a bit in heated. Having a bit of an overlap on the stern is a small price to pay for being able to get  around the sides and do work. Your current situation looks like the give you a bit of room to get around. I try to request being up against an outside wall as it limits my exposure to someone flinging compound all over at least 1 side as well as people going past with things in their hands that may rub against the side.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    My step brother has an nice big home with matching nice big pool in a very nice neighborhood. 

I'm always tempted to to take my stained fenders/lines and toss them into his pool for a good soaking for a few days so the chlorine and sunlight will bleach them. 

They don't allow swim wear that has been worn at the lake to be used in their pool.  You can tell it's lake wear because all the whites will be stained orange from our red clay.  

• Options
    I changed out the gear oil in the drives today. I happened to look at the back of one of the bottles and noticed it says shake before use. I don’t think I ever noticed that.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,576 mod
    @aero3113 I noticed the same thing this year when I changed mine out.  It was only after I already pumped in the new gear lube.  I don't think it needed shaken though.

I completed my winterization yesterday.  Boat is covered and waxed as well. This is the earliest that I have done it, but I'm glad it's done.  Seems like each weekend right now has been rain.  After the last two, I was done.  Now waiting for first week of March!  Oh well, I'll play a little on my son's boat if it gets nice out. :smile:

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    They may mean for you to shake, not the bottle.  :p

• Options
    They may mean for you to shake, not the bottle.  :p
    You’re probably right @Liberty44140
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I purchased 2.5 gallons of Mercury (not quicksilver but I'll use either) because Walmart had it on the shelf back when I first got my rinker.  This has been some 4 or 5 years ago.  It was maybe 50 bucks.  At the end of every other season my dad would borrow it fill his alpha.  I've done mine at the end of every season as well. 

Last year I used it up finally.   2.5 gallons goes a long way .  I went to order another 2.5 gallons last night... I think you have to shake it to keep the gold flakes from being stuck at the bottom of the bucket.
  • Options
    Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 143 ✭✭
    It’s actually unicorn tears. Extremely hard to come by 😛
    2002 180      Eastern LI, NY
  • Options
    captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 214 ✭✭
    Nice pics tony
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho