Options

What did you do to your boat today

Comments

• Options
    mbnarneymbnarney Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Years ago I bought a Rigid brand fan that runs off my Drill battery's for one of the hurricanes. It will also plug in to power if available. Lifesaver! I see Amazon has some knock offs priced very reasonably. Just a thought.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would probably help..it should not take long anyway...I guess I have not been pushing as afraid I may still have some other issues relating to all the bad fuel I pulled...need to get back on it...
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Ever since I got the boat, always had issues when fueling. Could never get full flow into either gas deck fill. Always thought it was because I had the new-fangled EPA vent/backflow system. Could only dribble in gas and it took forever to fill without burping back at me.

Yesterday went to a new fuel dock and the same thing was happening, then the young lady working the dock asked if I wanted to try a skinny nozzle. She handed my a hose/nozzle from a different pump and it worked like a charm.

Since the dock was slow, after fueling we looked at all the gas (not diesel) nozzles on the pumps and noticed they varied by a few 1/10's of an inch in diameter. The bigger ones just enough to screw up the vent system so it wasn't getting enough air to equalize the incoming flow.

Seems like there is a bit of wide-spread in manufacturing tolerances for the nozzles.

I wish I would have taken pics. Next time I will. But if you ever have issues with fueling it could be the nozzle size.

EDIT: Just found this info: "Spouts used to dispense unleaded gasoline should have a nominal OD of 20.6 mm (13/16 in) and be straight for 85 to 95 mm (3.35 to 3.74 in) from the outlet. It is understood that tolerances and normal use may increase the spout up to 21.3 mm (0.84 in) OD."
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    I put my camper pck up to deal with the storms but at storage no way to run a fan. Conundrum. 
    Bring a small generator!   When I need to do boat work in the cabin at home I'll even run the AC on a garden hose.   Bypass the pump obviously as it probably doesn't appreciate 65psi 
  • Options
    I figured out that my refrigerator still works!  No idea if it runs off 110v while hooked to the Gennny but ran all day on my spade battery.   No more cold rum for this guy!   This season I have hot showers and cold liquor (use the fridge as a liquor cabinet).    I feel like I've moved up in the world.  
  • Options
    A fridge is a real game changer for some reason...
  • Options
    I thought about that...my luck the hose falls off and then I'd know my next major repair...no hose at storage yard...my work never seems to be in the cabin anyway.
  • Options
    The compressor has a thermal shut off...but if you use a hose clamp and properly fitting barb fitting adapter you have nothing to worry about.   

I figured with the camper cover you'd have a little cooling power in the shade 
  • Options
    Not in this heat...lol
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    Let’s see, today I did what I should with a boat, use it.  She ran so nice and purred all the way across the bay!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dream_Inn said:
    Let’s see, today I did what I should with a boat, use it.  She ran so nice and purred all the way across the bay!
    Nice @Dream_Inn !! ⚓️
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I fixed a gfi which where it is at to change a real pina but all good. Blew a tire back to storage..
  • Options
    Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 140 ✭✭
    3 hour run back home from 6 nights on the hook at Block Island. Beautiful clear day saw a few pods of dolphins and my 13 year old wanted to run the whaler so he followed me the entire way. Unpacked and washed everything to hopefully get out again locally this weekend 
    2002 180      Eastern LI, NY
  • Options
    Had slight leak from  port side leak in heavy rains last weekend.  Thought last night would be a good idea to remove it last night after work, shouldn't be too hard right?

5 hours later I finally have it out and on the table to wire brush and paint the aluminum frame that has a good deal of corrosion in spots where the paint had failed.

Wake up this morning to rain in the forecast until at least Friday afternoon.    

Good news is the window looks good.  Used a primer that turns oxidation into a usable primer.   Inside was rattle canned.  Outside was finished with single stage Rust-Oleum roll on bed liner.  Has held up very well to daily on the bumpers and step bars on my 4 runner.  Also very easy to touch up blemishes in the future vs the two past bed liner.

Bad news is I haven't even started to clean the mounting surface around the windows.   So...likely no lake visit this weekend.  
  • Options
    johnny44johnny44 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Found a leak on the port engine water distribution housing. It’s probably been there all year. Originally I thought it was the the housing plug and replaced that. But of course that would have been much too easy, it still leaked. Turns out there is a small crack at the bottom of the housing where it screws in. Maybe it was over tightened when it was winterize. Not sure.

I just put some JB Weld putty on there. Hoping it does the trick and will hold for the summer. I will find out tomorrow when open the seacocks and test it. More to come
    2008 350 EC -- Greenwich Bay, Rhode Island
  • Options
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    He is around. Last active 7/30..........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    A boat without some water leaking somewhere in the hull is like a land rover that doesn't leak fluids.....it just doesn't exist.
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    My bilge is bone dry I had some water seeping in last year and couldn't figure it out This year I sealed the drain and its been dry all summer so far 
  • Options
    GMSLITHO said:
    My bilge is bone dry I had some water seeping in last year and couldn't figure it out This year I sealed the drain and its been dry all summer so far 
    Just wait, another leak will appear. It's always a window or a clogged drain drain or a hose or a loose hose clamp.  Boats are the reason marinas have bars, so people have somewhere to sit drink a beer and get on the vanilla communities to figure out the out the problem.  
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭
    After our last trip, I ordered some white grip tape (for skateboards)  and cut it into smaller strips and applied it to the bow area.  Over the years, this has been the most dangerous spot for me as I walk across it to anchor.   The tape worked awesome on our recent trip!  Should've done that years ago. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Anyone else ever have an issue with their fresh water tank smelling a little less than fresh?  I was taking a shower and what I smelled wasn't coming from me....for once.  Smelt like old rotten onions.   Tried a gallon of white vinegar in the system and no go.  Tried new metal fittings on my new water heater as the ones I had I reused from the old tank.   No go.   Finally broke down and put in about 4 gallons of bleach to a full tank of water approximately 30 gallons .Probably overkill.  Was overkill looking back now   

I let it sit 48 hours.   I then drained and refilled the tank twice. Even let the water overflow for about 20 minutes spewing water out my vent.  Still had a bleach smell. 

I then added a half gallon apple cider vinegar to about 10 gallons of water to an empty tank. Ran it until it came out the hot and cold water taps at both sinks.  I then filled the system full and let sit 24 hours.

I drained and refilled two more times and still smelt bleach and vinegar.   I filled up again and let 24 hours, this time with the water heater on.  

I ran out the tank with hot water running from both sinks.    I filled back up and took a shot glass sample in the house to the admiral.  It finally passed her very sensitive nose test.  No more bleach. No more onions. 

With all the chlorine in our water I wouldn't have thought I'd needed to clean out system but my water got bad... really bad.  Between showers and dishes I use most of our water up every weekend and fill back up a day before launch.  I winterize with compressed air and not the pink stuff.   

Next time I'm starting with a single gallon of bleach.  I've never trusted our water tank to drink before but after this cleaning I think it's clean enough to serve to the Pope.    We'll find out if the heavy bleach treatment has any negative effects on my pump. With how bad it smelt,  that's a small price to pay for clean smelling water. 

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @PickleRick you probably could’ve just used a 1/4-1/2 cup of bleach! 😂 At least you know it’s VERY sanitized now.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @PickleRick We would use a few tablespoons of water treatment we got at West Marine when we filled the tank. Keeps it fresh all the time. 

We still don't have a boat the search continues but we did buy two used wave runners to keep our water addiction going 😂. So now this is what did you do to your wave runner today. 

Yesterday I put new starter solenoids on as they were giving me some trouble and I have a few other parts and accessories to do as well when we get back from vacation. We never owned wave runners before but after using a friends we were hooked. Easy to use as we keep them on the PWC dock at our marina. 

1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    They are a lot of fun..my son in law has one,  turbo...does 0 to 70 in 2 seconds..crazy!
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah these are supercharged 215 HP 68mph. There is a 255 version then the new ones with a redesigned engine is 325 😮
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 213 ✭✭
    Have a supercharged Yamaha & its a blast.
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • Options
    Supercharged anything is fun....if you're of the male gender.  Something about mo powa.
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭✭
    Went and said “hello” :). After not being there for just over a week due to a whirlwind trip to Australia, was nice to see her again and start those engines. She’ll get a bath and a run on the weekend. She’ll be hauled in a few weeks…

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/