Options

What did you do to your boat today

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, there’s a first for everything! I pulled the boat today. Went to remove the drain plug and it broke off when I used a wrench!! 😳🤔 I tried an easy out but the metal is too soft and it just strips it out. I tried 2 different sizes. I’m going to try again with some heat and a larger size, if that doesn’t work I’ll cut a slit and hopefully be able to chisel it out. If not, I’ll have to replace the whole plug assembly. Are all of these plugs hollow?  Or did I just use one that is?? I never noticed this!!

2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Funny @aero3113 - I removed my garbord plug assembly today to recaulk it. It was leaking for sure. I removed the screws and turned the plug and the whole assembly popped out. 

My plug is hollow as well. 

Post edited by YYZRC on
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 746 ✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    Funny @aero3113 - I removed my garbord plug assembly today to recaulk it. It was leaking for sure. I removed the screws and turned the plug and the whole assembly popped out. 

I didn't know you can remove the whole assembly.
  • Options
    Absolutely @oscar1 - just three screws. Rinker didn’t use much sealant on mine. I will leave it off for the winter to let the transom dry out a bit. 
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 746 ✭✭✭
    I always believe it was a permanent item. Thx
  • Options
    captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 213 ✭✭
    Thats not fun. Never thought of plug breaking like that.
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,578 mod
    Yup, I'd replace the assembly.  Or if you want to repair it, remove it and do the work on a bench rather than crouched under the boat.  
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Throw that in the trash and get a new one!  Or ...get a really good insurance policy!
  • Options
    Aqua_Aura said:
    I got my SeaDoo impeller pump back together and back on the water for the random 80 plus degree weekend. Eventually winter will be here 🥶

I am wondering just how bad you could beat her to the jet skis in a foot race? 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,578 mod
    BTW the right tool for removing that fitting is an impact driver like this one that I just bought for $14 to do my trim tab actuators.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CTJW2KX

It will cut through the caked-on bottom paint and grab that screw no problem.  
  • Options
    please don't forget your hand sanitizer on these fall fishing trips!  It's almost that time of year to winterize and forget about boating until spring.   Fingers crossed the IRS is good to me and I can post pics of a diesel swapped disco 2 build over the next few months..  where's @aero3113 and his fj40 pics?
  • Options

Here you go @PickleRick !

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Beautiful rig!   
  • Options
    Thank you! 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭✭
    I prefer the other beautiful rigs with wings you play with…

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Here you go @Ian

2008 330EC
  • Options
    captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 213 ✭✭
    Cool jeep. Would like to have one for the lake to cruise around & launch waverunners.
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • Options
    Love that paint job!
  • Options
    captkevin said:
    Cool jeep. Would like to have one for the lake to cruise around & launch waverunners.
    Blasphemy.... calling that work of art a jeep
  • Options
    Thanks @captkevin !

@YYZRC , yea they’re pretty cool looking. The first pic is a G500 and the other is a G650ER.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    captkevin said:
    Blasphemy.... calling that work of art a jeep
    LoL! He might not be wrong…. Many say the “J” in FJ stands for Jeep.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    It was originally the Toyota jeep.    
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet jets- for private charters?
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    Sweet jets- for private charters?
    Personal use
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Nice! Not a bad way to go out for dinner- in Paris!
  • Options
    Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 142 ✭✭
    Nice puddle jumpers. I need to get back in the left seat more often but nothing as fancy as that. 
    Thought about doing a quick fishing run today but it's still blowing a solid 15 with gusts of 20. Definitely doable, but not as fun.
    It's getting to be that time of year around here. Yesterday put the Rinker on a trailer- brought it to a friend's repair shop with a For Sale sign to get some exposure. Put a WaveRunner on the trailer and pulled the float-on dock for it. Pulled a Whaler and test fit the new cover for it. Put the paddle boards and kayaks back on the rack for the winter.

2002 180      Eastern LI, NY
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭✭
    What did I do today? Sadly, continued the unload, just about all done bar the aft cabin bedding and memory mattress, my wine and a few vodka bottles in the fridge and a few other sundry items. I recently purchased a trailer for her for storage - cheaper at marina where I am if on trailer inside that’s blocked and next year much cheaper inside at the club - so I’ll take her over soon to get lifted, cleaned and then see where the bunks line up and make adjustments. Once on trailer and winterized canvas and lines will come home and big cover goes on.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    I'm fortunate to be able to trailer- my storage is 80 bucks a month. While I understand wages are different here in fl compared with my northern peers, I don't know that I would be able to deal with the marina expenses, winterize costs and using the boat 6 months of the year. Or, at least a boat 270 size...we are cooling off from a brutal summer where here in late summer it would just be to hot to enjoy being out- at least for the family. Some of the nicest cruising weather of the year is the next few months before January/February  weather where central Florida can get pretty cool and poof! It's March,  spring break and back to the heat. I always figure in my terms we have 8 to 10 weeks of winter in the Orlando area. I think I got my fuel issues resolved, seems to be running well and anxious to get back on the water and do some boating- I did a lot of work on it since I left work last december- new seating/carpet..solved a leak that ruined the ceiling in the mid ship berth..replaced that sealing...buffed and cleaned..New trim rams- lots of stuff! Now back to work before I was able to take advantage from time off...but, hopefully will get moving some going forward.