Options

What did you do to your boat today

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    @LaRea where was the Anderson PowerPole connectors used, physically?  Was it just in line before the breaker box?  Looks like it was mounted somewhere?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Not my boat, but here's the location of the disconnect switch.  The Anderson connectors are on the input side, i.e. the cables from the transom receptacles to the disconnect.  

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    These are on the incoming lines at the back of the breaker panel on mine and also the connection at the water heater. Have replaced the shore power one behind board and at hot water heater with alternates, these are not good for movement I feel. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Over the past few years, we've seen a few failure reports on those Anderson connectors ... especially at the water heater.  
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think one guy had a small fire because of a bad Anderson connector!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    My takeaway for today:  any time I lay eyes on one of these Anderson PowerPole connectors, I'll unplug it for inspection.  If it won't unplug easily -- not good.  
  • Options
    Yes, I've unplugged the water heaters ones before to check them.  Next time I have my cockpit fridge out I'll check the other one.

• Options
    I'll write up a separate thread to raise awareness about those connectors.  
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe mine is older..I don't recall any connections like this? I think my fridge was regular plug?
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Mine is too, regular 110v outlet in back with a 12v feed.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    edited February 2022
    My cockpit fridge and icemaker plug into regular household outlets.  But I wonder if that outlet box uses an Anderson connector.  
  • Options
    Mine use a molex brand connector. I was never able to find them for sale anywhere. 
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    I had an electrical issue i was chasing last year with my 110 outlets.  All of my outlets had the Anderson connectors on them.  I did find a source for them but in the end it wasn't worth it.  I basically did the same as LaRea.  Then just replaced all the outlets and GFI's.  Even if a GFI is outside rated it seems like they tend to go pretty fast being on the water.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Yesterday, I replaced the battery charger for the bow thruster.  The old one wasn't fully charging the battery, which fits my theory that battery chargers only last 10-15 years.  I went with a MasterVolt PowerCharger 12/20, which is a 20-amp charger that was on the shelf at the local West Marine.

When they installed the charger, the connectors were too small for the posts.  Instead of installing the right connectors, they just clipped one prong off the connectors.  Sloppy.

• Options
    Today's adventure:  outdrive go up, outdrive not go down.  Well, since 2017 I've had a spare trim solenoid rattling around in the bottom of my parts box.  Today I got to use it! 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Well, my front isenglass is getting bad. I had somebody's old glass from the same boat that was in better shape, but they had gotten new cause they just couldn't get it to fit right.

Well, after years of holding onto it, I put it on last weekend after adjusting all the snaps on the windshield.  Figured it was toasty under the cover and that was the time to try it out. The front center zippers were tight, so I only zipped part way down letting it stretch.

Went back down yesterday and it was better but still a large gap that wasn't going to zip at bottom half of both front sides.  Today I took the zippers off the front center and moved them out, especially at the bottom. I'll try it out tomorrow. Ill see if I need to add more material over the zipper, but I think a little repellent spray may work if needed. 

• Options
    LaRea said:

When they installed the charger, the connectors were too small for the posts.  Instead of installing the right connectors, they just clipped one prong off the connectors.  Sloppy.

Some aspects of Rinker build quality are excusable due to the price point. This is gross. 
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 530 ✭✭✭
    @Dream_Inn if you cant get them to stretch you can try these
    https://store.canvas-boat-cover-and-repair-advisor.com/ez-xtend-boat-zippers

I like the ID chart so you know what size zipper you have

• Options
    Thanks @Pat310!  I figured there may be something like that.  This didn't take long to adjust and I've gotten pretty good the last few years doing canvas work (last winter I sewed in all new canvas over the original back).  Those are a great idea though and I may need them at some point for another location (aft door is tight).  They are definitely not cheap, but nothing is for boats, especially canvas.  Actually now that I think about it, that isn't a terrible price for a decent zipper.

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    @LaRea are you sure that is factory? Did you buy brand new? Maybe the PO had it added. I have seen that many times before so it's not uncommon but usually after replacement of original parts. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    I bought the boat when she was five years old, so I doubt the charger was a replacement.  I can see clipping the connector on a 12-volt circuit, but it's really not a good practice for 110-volt power.  

These days, most chargers don't use screw terminals for the input.  There's a 3-conductor cable coming out of the box, and you just use butt connectors.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I wasn't talking about charger replacement I was talking about it being added for an add on bow thruster installed by a contractor. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    LED bulbs in main panel.  Can you tell which side I did?  Every day, I get a day older.  The extra light really helps.  Brighter, but not obnoxious.  And now I can leave them on all weekend -- I think @Dream_Inn said that.

• Options
    This photo shows ORS (Outdrives, Ready to Splash).  Don't mock my bottom paint ... it'll be done soon enough! 

• Options
    @LaRea how have you not taken the 4x4 plunge yet?!
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    @YYZRC I haven't ruled it out.  The boat and I have had this conversation every spring for the last few years!  It's a $1200 conversion ... $2500 for props, then I'd net $1300 after selling my props.  I also considered sending my 4x3 sets for reconditioning.

Thing is, I'm really happy with the boat's performance.  Good hole shot, good cruise speed, good WOT speed.  Yes, it could get a little better, but would it be $1200 better?  
  • Options
    On my boats, I would have paid $5000 net for the 4x4 props. “They’re real, and they’re spectacular.”
  • Options
    Did you stay with the same pitch?
  • Options
    I couldn't imagine changing my prop back to 3 blade (well, I had to do it once and it was horrible!).

So my canvas work came out great!!

.Here is what it was

Now...very happy!

• Options
    There was shrinkage!